March is National Workplace Eye Wellness Month. This is a special time to reflect on the ways that we can protect our eyes in the workplace and maintain our vision.
When we think of eye safety in the workplace, you might think of construction workers wearing thick protective eye glasses, but even if your job doesn’t involve physical labor, workplace eye safety is still a high priority. Working for hours in front of a computer screen, or spending hours in virtual meetings, can also impact your eye wellness and should be taken seriously.
In this post offers three ways you can protect your eyes in the workplace this month and year round.
1. Adjust your computer’s screen height and distance
Eye care professionals recommend that you keep your computer screen roughly 30 inches from your eyes. Professional also recommend that you position your screen just below the center of your vision, so that your eyes are cast slightly downward. This allows your eyelids to rest partially closed while you look at your screen and reduces the amount of exposed ocular surface area.
2. Follow the 20-20-20 rule
Spending long hours looking at a computer screen can cause an effect known as “Digital Eye Strain”. Digital eye strain is the result of a decreased blink rate caused by the artificial illumination in digital screens. When we look at digital screens our blink rate can decrease significantly, causing our eyes to become tired and dry. To reduce the impact of digital eye strain, use the 20-20-20 rule! Every 20 minutes, look away from your computer for 20 seconds, and focus your eyes on an object 20 or more feet away. This allows your eyes to relax and recover.
3. Establish an eye hydration routine
If your eyes are still dry and tired at the end of a long workday, it’s time to establish a healthy lid hygiene routine – similar to your oral hygiene routine. The Bruder family of eye care products can help.
- Use the Bruder Moist Heat Eye Compress to naturally rehydrate your eyes. Microwave for 20 seconds and apply! It’s reusable and washable, and patented MediBeads technology you will get a consistent moist heat treatment that is safe and bacteria-free. The Bruder Moist Heat Eye Compress is also the No. 1 doctor recommended eye compress for the treatment of dry eye disease. The moist heat eye compress stimulates the natural production of lipid oils on the ocular surface that help maintain and stabilize your tear film layer to provide better eye comfort.
- A daily lid cleansing routine that begins with Bruder Hygienic Eyelid Wipes is a simple way to relieve symptoms such as burning, watering and dryness. Perfect for use in the office, at home or ont the go.
- Reduce bacteria and help prevent infection by applying Bruder Hygienic Eyelid Solution Spray (containing 0.02% pure hypochlorous acid solution) daily. Just spray, let dry and you’re on your way to an improved lid and lash hygiene routine – perfect for preventing or treating dry eye and other eyelid conditions such as blepharitis and styes.
Ready to improve your eye care? Order the #1 Doctor Recommended family of eye care products
Warm compress for the treatment of dry eye, blepharitis and other eye irritations.
Relieve headaches, sinus pressure, or tension and stress with a warm compress treatment.